- By:Cynthia Lezama
- 0
Los Angeles County Advances Steps to Increase Fines for Illegal Street Takeovers And Expand Diversion Opportunities
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Tuesday, May 12, 2026
Media Contact
Lenee Richards
(213) 709-9334
lrichards@bos.lacounty.gov
Los Angeles County Advances Steps to Increase Fines for Illegal Street Takeovers And Expand Diversion Opportunities
LOS ANGELES, Calif. – Building on a motion authored by Los Angeles County Supervisor Holly J. Mitchell calling for strengthening the County’s ordinance to address illegal street takeovers, today, the Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors voted 4-to-0, with one abstention, to move forward with proposed amendments that include – increasing enforcement against organizers and promoters by raising penalties for violations from $500 to $1,000, expanding enforcement authority to include off-street parking facilities and creating opportunities for diversion programs for eligible first-time violators, reinforcing the County’s “Care First, Jails Last” approach to public safety.
“Even though we are seeing a promising decrease in illegal street takeovers across the County, this remains an urgent safety and quality of live issue for far too many of my constituents, especially in our unincorporated communities. These proposed amendments provide us with stronger tools to address organizers and promoters so we can stop these dangerous events while maintaining opportunities for rehabilitation and diversion for first-time offenders,” said Supervisor Holly J. Mitchell, who represents the Second District.
The proposed ordinance reflects legal guidance following the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals decision in Garcia v. County of Alameda, which found portions of a similar spectator ordinance unconstitutional under the First Amendment. In response, Los Angeles County revised its proposed amendments to focus enforcement on individuals who knowingly organize, promote, facilitate, aid, or abet illegal street takeover activities, rather than spectators.
Los Angeles County Acting Chief Executive Officer Joseph M. Nicchitta shared, “The County has worked with communities to reduce illegal and dangerous street takeovers by 33% over the last year, but there is more to do to keep our unincorporated areas and contract cities safe. Imposing significant fines for those who flaunt the law while strengthening diversion options for first-time offenders strikes the right balance and gives law enforcement the tools it needs. The Street Takeover Reduction Workgroup remains committed to continuing to work with our public and private partners to make our streets safer for everyone.”
There will be a second reading of the proposed amendments to the ordinance for the Board of Supervisors to vote on in the coming weeks. If adopted, the ordinance will go into effect 30 days after the Board vote.
“Street Racing Kills supports the diversion component because diversion is prevention—accountability and education are what change behavior. When paired with strong enforcement, diversion gives eligible offenders a meaningful, structured path to understand the real-life consequences of street racing, takeovers, and reckless driving, take responsibility, reduce repeat behavior, and ultimately save lives before another family is harmed,” said Lili Trujillo Puckett, Founder and CEO at Street Racing Kills.
To read the amended ordinance, click here.
###